Monday, June 28, 2004

The Communications Revolution

I was just thinking. I've been irritated for a while with all these people talking about the internet and other forms of communications technology as though it will bring the next golden age of civilization. People love to pretend that the internet is making the world smaller and making people more and more connected. Bullshit.

It certainly is nice to be able to get ahold of people more easily from a safety standpoint, as well as to assist in daily living. However, I think that all this technology lets people exist in a state of disconnection and self-deception much more easily. This is something I want to be conscious of because I'm choosing to spend some time here blogging and I don't want to misuse this tool.

Technology certainly allows people to communicate more often, but with less connection and without the innate consequences that come with genuine human interaction. It makes me think of Everquest and all of those MMORPG's. They have people who don't even play the game anymore, they just go there to socialize. It likely wouldn't bother me so much except that they choose to spend all of their time in the virtual world without living in the real world at all. They never make any real connections with people. You can find out some interesting things by reading my words, but don't make the mistake of thinking that you know me based on this stuff. It's easier and less frightening to have virtual friendships, because you don't have the same risks and consequences. Interacting in person means having to look someone in the eye, having to let them watch your body language, having to TRULY and ACTIVELY participate in the dialectic process. I know that can be scary for some people, but...Jesus...it seems like it's everybody these days. If you crave connection so much, for the love of God, get out and live your life IN PERSON. Hang up the phone. Turn off the computer. Go talk to someone. Make friends. Hold their hand. Take some risks! Think about all the things you get out of your on-line life. Think about how much better and more rewarding it would be if you did it for real.

I have a life and it is not here. This is a reminder to myself that I have work to do, and it is in the real world. I hope to make friends in the time I spend here, wherever that may be, but the space we truly share is in the real world.

Communication theory is a subject that interests me very much and I will have more to say on it in the future. Until then...Why are you still reading this? Haven't you been paying attention? Go call your grandma and tell her you love her...Go on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home