Monday, April 04, 2005

Carpe Diem Or Some Such Nonsense

Okay, I'm cool.

It's funny how, after an initial burst of terror, you will sometimes become so serene in the face of something that it is quite reasonable to be fearful of. I didn't expect to feel that, but I do.

Here's the lowdown. Last Thursday I found out that, due to a truly unfortunate conflict of personalities, the company I work for is going to completely shut down. In less than a week I will be out of work. The timing on this is funny too. The day I found out about this was also the day that I received notice in the mail that my lease was up on my apartment. So, I'm unemployed in five days and I have to decide if I'm going to move within the next two weeks or so. Wow...

Seems like a reasonable time to freak out, right? My first reaction was one of surprise and anxiety, but that has subsided. This really feels like an opportunity right now. I mentioned in an earlier post about how it seems like the world is trying to tell me something. I was thinking about that a couple of days ago. I've spoken to several of my closest friends over the last two weeks regarding work issues, personal upheaval, resistance to positive change, and achieving personal growth. None of these conversations were seemingly about me, but it turns out that they all were. I just didn't know it at the time. That strikes me as being pretty damned cool.

One of the things that I always find myself talking about with the people close to me is the desire to make decisions for the right reasons and take advantages of opportunities as they are presented to you. There are few things worse than looking back in retrospect and seeing that you squandered fleeting moments when those once in a lifetime opportunities made themselves known. There are moments like that that I will lament for my entire life. I don't want to do that anymore. And I won't.

So, I have anxiety certainly, but I'm pretty comfortable with this overall. I know I won't have trouble finding work, but it will be a struggle to find the work I want here in Baton Rouge. That's the current rub. I'm likely going to have to move out of state. But, I'm pretty excited at that prospect as well. This feels like one of those opportunities. And it's one that I believe will be rewarding ultimately.

I just need to keep telling myself that for awhile... ;)


By the way, I wanted to pass along thanks to all of my friends and family that have offered me help in this process. I'm really not sure if I would be able to find the gold lining of this thing without knowing you guys are there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home